BISTERNE ALG was constructed in the summer of 1943 2 miles south of Ringwood by the 5005 RAF Airfield Construction Unit. The airfield was occupied by the USAAF on 7th March 1944 in the build up to D-Day. It was closed for a short time in April/May due to waterlogging, and the aircraft moved temporarily to Ibsley. The aircraft moved to France shortly after D-Dayand & the field was closed. By early 1945 the steel matting runways had been removed and the land returned to agriculture. Remnants of runway matting can be seen in hedges. Ibsley airfield can be seen at mid-upper left.
WINKTON ALG was built in 1943 & was first used in 4/4/44 when the USAAF 9th AF arrived in the form of the 404th Fighter Group. They remained until 6/7/44, when they moved to a base in France. The steel plank and mesh runways were removed soon after and the land returned to agriculture. Sopley Camp is a mainly post war construction.
LYMINGTON ALG was built in the winter of 1943 & was used by the USAAF from April 1944 for about 10 weeks. The site was used as an Admiralty Storage Area until 1946, when the land returned to agriculture. One of the original blister hangars remains on the standing today,and there is a private airstrip on the site.
NEEDS OAR POINT ALG was built by the RAF Airfield construction unit in winter of 1943 and was used by the RAF in April 44. It is said that for a few days around June 6th it was apparently the busiest airfield in the UK. The airfield was vacated after 11 weeks & the airfield was returned to agriculture within the next few months.